Joe Velasco accident
Joe Velasco’s remarkable tale unfolds with a gripping account of a near-fatal ice skating accident that nearly claimed his life just before his appearance on a popular game show.
In the year 2020, Joe chose to open up about this life-altering incident via his Instagram platform, bravely sharing a poignant selfie showcasing the scar etched onto his wrist while vividly recounting the harrowing events that transpired.
He wrote: “My Jeopardy! win on Sept 17 was more significant than most realize.”
“For those who know I grew up figure skating, you may have heard about a horrific accident I sustained on the ice.
“As I felt myself landing incorrectly on a difficult jump, I reached my right hand down to stop myself from falling hard.
“A lot of you know how flexible I am, but where sharp blades are involved, extreme flexibility isn’t always a safe quality to have.
“Meanwhile, my left leg whipped around behind me and the left blade came to a stop IN THE BONE OF MY RIGHT WRIST.
“I severed arteries, nerves, and almost every tendon. I nearly bled out on the ice.
He continued: “They had donor blood prepared and ready for me at the hospital. After a six-hour surgery, I was saved.
“After a series of casts and months of occupational therapy, I had practically full, functional use again.
“I’ll never be able to feel with my right index finger & thumb anymore, but that’s no disability.
“I PHYSICALLY healed by 6 months, and was practically back to my full strength in that hand after a year.”
“The problem was healing emotionally. A serious trauma like that will always remain in the back of your mind.
“That’s even after years of therapy and sports psychology. It’s torture to have a hobby that you LOVE so much but have it TERRIFY you. At times the fear was CRIPPLING. Yet time heals all wounds.”
Lesson learned from Joe Velasco figure skater accident
The valuable lesson that everyone can learn when participating in ice skating to avoid accidents is:
1. Master the Technique:Before engaging in ice skating, learn and practice the fundamental techniques. This includes controlling speed and stopping safely. Basic techniques will help you maintain balance and control.
2. Use Protective Gear: Never neglect the use of personal protective gear such as helmets and body protection. They can shield you from unfortunate injuries in case of falls or collisions.
3. Adhere to Safety Rules:Always follow safety rules on the ice rink. Limit your speed if you are a beginner or not confident, and maintain a safe distance from others to avoid unexpected collisions.
4. Stay Focused and Alert: When you’re ice skating, focus entirely on the activity and remain vigilant of your surroundings. Don’t let distraction or lack of concentration lead to accidents.
5. Learn How to Fall: If you lose balance and cannot avoid a fall, learn how to fall safely by bending your body and avoiding putting your hands in front to prevent serious injuries.
Remember that safety should always be the top priority when engaging in ice skating, and adhering to safety measures can help prevent many unwanted accidents.